All types of public transport tickets are valid for riding on funiculars.
Year-round except for scheduled shutdowns in spring and autumn.
During the following regular maintenance periods, funicular is out-of-service.
Warning: The funicularis not barrier-free accessible.
The Petřín funicular railway began operation on 25 July 1891. It used a water-balance propulsion system and ceased operating in 1916 in connection with the First World War. The current longer line opened in 1932 with an electrical propulsion system, a different track gauge and completely new equipment, and operated throughout the Second World War. In 1965, due to landslides in the Petřín area and the loss of its track, the service had to be suspended. It took 27 years for the restoration of the line (1985), at which time the service became part of the regular public transport system.
From the Nebozízek station, visitors have a magnificent view of Prague Castle and the rest of the capital city. Near the lookout tower is the famous Maze - a mirrored hall – which can be found in the Pavilion of the Czech Tourists Club. The pavilion was originally built for and located (1891) at the Prague Exhibition Grounds. A year later, it was moved to its current site. The pavilion is a replica of the Špička Gate, which was part of the medieval Vyšehrad fortifications of the city. The building also houses a panorama-type painting showing an earlier defense of Prague against attacking Swedes.
The funicularpasses through the Hunger Wall, which was built by the Emperor and King Charles IV in the years 1360 - 1362. It got its unusual name from the fact that its construction provided a means of livelihood to the city’s poor. The wall formed part of the medieval fortifications of the city.
There is also the Štefánik Observatory at Petřín, which began operations in 1930.
Of interest too is the now restored Church of St. Vavřinec. The origins of the building are Romanesque and can be dated back to 1135. There were later Gothic and then Baroque (1735-70) reconstructions. No longer a place of worship, it was also one of the traditional places of pilgrimage in Prague.
One of the many historical monuments at Petřín is the famous statue of the poet K. H. Mácha by J. V. Myslbek, dating back to between 1910 and 1912.
In the area of Petřín, there are also a series of gardens (Kinský, Lobkovická, Nebozízek, U rozhledny, Růžový sad, Seminářská and Strahovská). The earliest of these is Růžový sad, which dates back to 1932.
Other Petřín landmarks include some of the Baroque-era fortifications of Prague - bastions No. IV (St. Charles), No. V (St. Lawrence) and No. VI (St. Adalbert).