From Saturday, 25 March 2017 you can meet nostalgic line no. 23 in the streets of Prague. The line is fully operated by legendary historical vehicles of T3 tram type.
The new nostalgic line is operated on the route Královka – Malovanka – Pražský hrad – Královský letohrádek – Malostranská – Malostranské náměstí – Újezd – Národní divadlo – Národní třída – Karlovo náměstí – I. P. Pavlova – Vinohrady – Zvonařka.
Standard fare in line with the PID Tariff applies on the line. Scope of the operation is scheduled daily, approximately from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in 30-minute interval (in the period approximately from the end of April to the mid of October during weekends and holidays 15 – 20 minutes). The timetable of the line can be found at this link.
Modernisation of the tram fleet worried the Electrical Enterprises (predecessor of DPP) already before World War II. In 1951, Tatra Smíchov factory came up with the prototype of a new tram of T1 type. The vehicle was based on a completely new concept built on the American PCC (Presidents' Conference Committee Car) vehicles equipped with two-axle chassis. During 1951 – 1956, 133 pieces of T1 type trams, which seemed very elegant at that time, were supplied to Prague. From the second half of the seventies, the number of trams of this type started to decrease. The very end of T1 came on 25 January 1983, when the last ride on line no. 23 was dispatched from the Střešovice depot.
Although the trams of T1 type did not become imaginary king of the Prague streets, development of PCC type trams continued. Cramped interior of T1 vehicles and impossibility of the modification of this type to the 1,000 mm gauge resulted in the development of the tram of T2 type. In 1955, two prototype vehicles were supplied to operation, but the increased dimensions and stronger design of the vehicle meant enormous rise in weight and the associated energy requirements. Serial production of this type was launched in 1957, but no other vehicle of T2 type has been supplied to Prague anymore.
At the international fair in Brno in summer 1960, the tram of T3 type was firstly introduced to public. After the end of the fair, employees of the Tatra Smíchov national enterprise started carrying out first test rides on the Prague tracks, but without passengers during first months. The prototype was constantly “finetuned” over time and various adjustments were made thereto.
Regular operation of T3 type trams was launched on 22 November 1962 on lines no. 4 and 27. Naturally, every new vehicle has its child diseases and the trams of this type were no exception. Yet, it turned out that they were reliable vehicles and they started being supplied to Prague abundantly. Last farewell with the T3 type trams in Prague took place during Open Day in Hostivař in Prague in 2011. Currently, passengers can only meet the modernised trams of this type at the nostalgic line no. 23.