History

  • 1 September 1897
    The Electrical Enterprises of the Royal Capital City of Prague, direct predecessor of today’s Prague Public Transit Company, launched their operations. Their activities included the operation of tramways and rail transport and the production of electricity.
  • 15 December 1897
    The Electrical Enterprises bought the transport company from the vineyard community and started the gradual centralisation of the tramway operations in the Prague agglomeration.
  • 30 June 1898
    The Electrical Enterprises bought the horse track from Mr. Eduard Otlet to electrify it and integrate it into the tramway network being built
  • 21 June 1900
    The Electrical Enterprises bought the electric track Smíchov – Košíře.
  • 1 January 1900
    The Electrical Enterprises took over the funicular on Letná and became its operator.
  • 5 August 1907
    Purchase of the electric small track Praha – Libeň – Vysočany means that the Electrical Enterprises of the Royal Capital City of Prague become an exclusive operator of tram traffic in the Prague agglomeration.
  • 29 November 1918
    After the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the company was renamed to the Electrical Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 2 March 1932
    The Electrical Enterprises took over the funicular to Petřín, carried out its reconstruction and became its operator.
  • 15 July 1942
    The Electrical Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague (public transport and power plants) were integrated into a new joint venture of the municipal infrastructure called the Prague Municipal Enterprises (Stadtwerke Prag). In addition to the public transport and power plants, the joint venture also included waterworks and gasworks.
  • 6 September 1946
    After completion of the gradual transformation of the Prague Municipal Enterprises, when the power plants, gasworks and waterworks were excluded, the only remaining organisational unit, i.e. public transport, was renamed to the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 1 January 1949
    As a part of the reorganisation of the nationalised economy, a legal form of so-called municipal enterprises was created for enterprises operated in the framework of the management of territorial administrative units. This legal form included also the municipal enterprises operating the public transport. As of this date, the Prague Public Transit Company, municipal enterprise, was established on the basis of a resolution of the Central National Committee of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 1 July 1953
    With progressing reorganisation of the local economy and with changes in legislation for enterprises set up by territorial administrative units, the former municipal enterprises were transformed into the municipal economy enterprises. From this date, the new name of the company was the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 1 January 1961
    Passenger ship transport on the central Vltava river, delimited from the company Czechoslovak Cruise Elbe-Oder, was incorporated into the competence of the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 1 January 1962
    The municipal economy enterprise Autoslužba (Auto Service), operating both the passenger and freight taxi transport, was incorporated into the competence of the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague.
  • 1 October 1964
    Transition to the three-stage management of the company and establishment of an organisational chart with 7 transport and technical enterprises. Their structure laid the foundation for the organisational structure of the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague for the next few decades.
    • Enterprise 1 – Electric Tracks
    • Enterprise 2 – Buses and Trolleybuses
    • Enterprise 3 – Passenger Car Transport
    • Enterprise 4 – Passenger Ship Transport
    • Enterprise 5 – Medium and Heavy Maintenance (since 1966: Vehicle Repair Shops)
    • Enterprise 6 – Construction
    • Enterprise 7 – Vocational School

      At the same time, former municipal economy enterprises became state economic organisations managed by the relevant national committee. The name of the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague remained without any change and also its founder was still the National Committee of the Capital City of Prague
  • 1 November 1967
    Establishment of Department 909 Metro Operation Preparation Administration – the first step to incorporate the newly built, both organisationally and operationally most complex transport subsystem of the metro to the company’s organisational structure.
  • 1 January 1971
    In connection with the development and expansion of the company's scope of operations, the existing Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague was fundamentally transformed into the production business unit (PBU) of trust type with economic and legal subjectivity belonging to the enterprises, not to the PBU as a whole. The name of the company changed to the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague. The PBU included 5 newly established independent companies:
    - Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Metro, ensuring the construction, preparation for operation, and later also the operation of the metro, and the management of the associated infrastructure; the company was formed by merger of the Metro Operation Preparation Administration (existing until then as Department 909 in the Transport Company) and the Construction of the Capital City of Prague – Metro Construction.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Electric tracks, ensuring the operation of tram transport and management of the associated infrastructure.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Buses, ensuring the operation of bus transport.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Transport Services, ensuring the operation of taxi services and passenger ship transport.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Technical Services, ensuring repair services and intracompany transport.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Metroprojekt Design Institute, ensuring design activities especially in the field of the metro construction, formed by a merger of selected departments of the State Institute of Transport Design, the Design Institute of Transport and Civil Engineering and the Transport Company of the Capital City of Prague.

      Names of the individual companies were typically used in an abbreviated form (e.g. TE-Metro). From 30 May 1972, the Directorate-General was also registered as an independent company:
      - Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Directorate-General, including the highest link in the management of companies incorporated in the PBU as well as the management of enterprises Pragocar and the Vocational Education Enterprise.
  • 1 January 1977
    The Transport Enterprises were transformed to the production business unit (PBU) of concern type, with the decisive subjectivity belonging to the concern as a whole and the individual concern enterprises having only limited economic and legal subjectivity. The new name of the enterprise was the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague, concern. The concern was internally divided into 5 concern companies and 5 concern special-purpose organisation. Just as in the case of the PBU, the names were usually used in their abbreviated forms (e.g. TE-Metro).
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Metro, concern company (c. c.)
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Electric Tracks, c. c.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Buses, c. c.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Transport Services, c. c.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Technical Services, c. c.
       
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Investor of Transport Constructions, concern special-purpose organisation (c. s. p. o.)
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Metroprojekt Design Institute, c. s. p. o.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Pragocar, c. s. p. o.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Educational Facilities, c. s. p. o.
    • Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Social Services, c. s. p. o.
  • 1 July 1977
    The company of the Prague Communications was incorporated into the Transport Enterprises. The following were formed from the Prague Communications:
    - Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Prague Communications, c. c.
    - Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Technical Management of Communications, c. s. p. o.
  • 1 March 1983
    The Transport Enterprises took over the funicular in the zoological garden in Troja and became its operator.
  • 1 January 1988
    The concern special-purpose organisation of the Transport Enterprises – Technical Management of Communications was cancelled. Activities related to the management of communications, traffic signs and urban greenery were incorporated into Transport Enterprises – Prague Communications.
    Establishment of a new concern special-purpose organisation of the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Management and Development.
  • 1988–1989
    In connection with the adoption of the new act on state enterprises and with the preparation of the transformation of the Transport Enterprises into a state enterprise, the activities, that were not directly related to public transport, were gradually separated from the Transport Enterprises. Within this process, the following organisational units were gradually cancelled or transformed:
    • Transport Enterprises-Pragocar, c. s. p. o. (as of 1 July 1988), a separate state enterprise Pragocar Praha was established for car rental services.
    • Transport Enterprises-Transport Services c. c. (as of 1 January 1989), a separate state enterprise Taxi Praha was established for operation of taxi services, passenger ship transport was temporarily transferred to the branch of the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague – Passenger Ship Transport, branch, and subsequently incorporated under Transport
      Enterprises-Buses as an independent enterprise (as of 1 March 1989).
    • Transport Enterprises-Prague Communications, c. c. (as of 1 July 1989), the municipal budget organisation Technical Management of Communications of the Capital City of Prague and the state enterprise Prague Communications were established for management and maintenance of communications. Former enterprise Construction and Maintenance of Railway Network was incorporated into the Transport Enterprises-Technical Services.
    • Transport Enterprises-Metroprojekt, c. s. p. o. (as of 1 July 1989), was transferred to state enterprise Metroprojekt Praha, except for the part transformed to so-called project management, later incorporated into the Transport Enterprises-Investor of Transport Constructions.
  • 1 July 1989
    In connection with the changes brought about by the act on the state enterprises, the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague, a state enterprise, combine, was established and became the successor of the former concern. The combine was divided into 8 combine companies formed from the remaining concern companies and concern special-purpose organisations, the activities of which were not delimited into separate companies.
    Between 1990 and 1991, a number of organisational changes took place, which were also reflected in the renaming of some companies. For example, the combine companies Transport Enterprises-Social Services and Transport Enterprises-Management and Development were cancelled. Former Transport Enterprises-Technical Services were transferred into the internal organisational unit Trolleybuses and Repair Shops of Public Transport, later the Public Transport Repair Shops and Trolleybuses, or only the Public Transport Repair Shops. The Investor of Transport Constructions was, after merger with the Computer Technology enterprise, transformed to the internal organisational unit of the Public Transport Engineering Services. Moreover, the internal organisational unit of the Ship Transport and Public Transport Services with enterprises Passenger Ship Transport (the name of Prague Steamship Company began to be used), Social Services and Polygraphy, were formed.
  • 11 July 1991
    After almost two years or stormy discussions regarding the new organisation of the Transport Enterprises, based on resolution of the Capital City Council No. 2/2 of 14 February 1991 and in accordance with the Government Resolution No. 366 of 21 December 1990, the state enterprise of the Transport Enterprises of the Capital City of Prague, combine, was dissolved without liquidation and its fixed assets as a whole were input into the newly established joint-stock company of the Prague Public Transit Company, joint-stock company, the sole shareholder of which is the Capital City of Prague. At that time, the company had 7 so-called internal organisational units (i. o. u.). As of the stated date, the joint-stock company was incorporated in the Commercial Register.
  • 1 May 1992
    The decision of the Board of Directors of the joint-stock company transformed the existing 7 internal organisational units into so-called branches with a higher degree of economic autonomy.
  • 23 January 1992
    By signing the memorandum of association, the Prague Steamship Company,
    joint-stock company, was established. This subsidiary, the shares of which were 100% owned by the Prague Public Transit Company, took over the activities of the former branch Passenger Ship Transport. In 1999 the company was privatised.
  • 8 December 1993
    By signing the memorandum of association, the Prague Engineering, joint-stock company, was established; this subsidiary took over some activities of the branch Public Transport Repair Shops.
  • 20 December 1993
    By signing the memorandum of association, the Transport Constructions Engineering, joint-stock company, was established. This subsidiary took over some activities of the branch Investor of Transport Constructions, i.e. especially engineering activities in preparation and realisation of constructions. Between 1999 and 2007 the company was privatised.
  • 1 April 1994
    With the gradual separation of some activities it was possible to cancel the branches Transit Company-Investor of Transport Constructions as well as Transit
    Company-Public Transport Repair Shops (the remaining activities of which were transferred under the branch Electric Tracks and Buses). Moreover, also the branch Public Transport Services was cancelled. Therefore, only 4 branches remained – Metro, Electric Tracks, Buses and Secondary Vocational Schools.
  • 1 January 1998
    Former branch Secondary Vocational Schools was transformed to another subsidiary – Secondary Technical School of Transport, Secondary Vocational School and Apprentice School, joint-stock company, and later renamed to Secondary Technical School of Transport, joint-stock company.
  • 1 January 2004
    Based on the decision of the company's General Meeting dated 16 December 2003, the branches were cancelled and temporarily replaced by divisions. Divisions of Metro, Electric Tracks and Buses became the main organisational units of the Transit Company.
  • 1 October 2004
    After 40 years, the independent organisation unit of Buses was cancelled within the Transit Company’s reorganisation. Critical tasks related to the operation of bus transport started to be ensured by units Buses Operation (BO) and Vehicles Administration – Buses (VAB), later renamed to Administration of Vehicles and Buses (AVB).
  • 1 January 2005
    The division of the Electric Tracks was cancelled and replaced by newly established organisational units, namely the units Vehicles Administration – Trams (VAT), Trams Operation (TO), Transport Route – Trams (TRT).
  • 1 October 2005
    The Metro division was cancelled and replaced by newly established organisation units, namely Vehicles Administration – Metro (VAM), Metro Operation (MO) and Transport Route – Metro (TRM).
  • 31 December 2008
    First phase of so-called outsourcing of the maintenance and repairs of the metro vehicles was completed. The activities related to the maintenance and repairs of the metro vehicles were transferred from the competence of the Vehicles Administration unit to the manufacturers of the given vehicles (in a form of so-called full service). In the first phase, the maintenance and repairs of M1 trains were transferred under the company Siemens with technical background in the Kačerov depot.
  • 14 December 2009
    Second phase of so-called outsourcing of the maintenance and repairs of the metro vehicles was completed. Maintenance and repairs of 81-71M trains and of historical sets were transferred under the company Škoda Transportation with technical background in the depots Hostivař and Zličín, and in the Metro Repair Bases.