The funicular on Petřín Hill connects to tram service at the Újezd stop, and services the Újezd - Nebozízek - Petřín route.
PIT tickets are valid on the funicular.
Please note that the funicular is wheelchair inaccessible.
During the regular revisions the funicular is out of operation.
On 25 July 1891, a funicular up to Petřín Hill began operating, using a water-balance drive system. It ceased operating in 1916 due to World War I. The funicular didn't resume operation until 1932, when it was also converted to an electrical drive system. It served the public reliably for over 30 years. In 1965 extensive landslides took place on Petřín, which destroyed the funicular's tracks. The Petřín funicular resumed operations after a 20-year pause, in 1985, when it was made part of the urban mass transit system.
From Nebozízek, visitors are presented with a gorgeous view of the Prague Castle and the city of Prague. Near the observation tower is the well-known Maze - Hall of Mirrors in the Czech Hikers' Pavilion, which in 1891 was originally located at the Prague Exhibition Grounds, and a year later relocated to its present location. The Pavilion is a miniature of the medieval Špička Gate, which was part of the fortifications at Vyšehrad. The building also contains the panoramic painting „Defending Prague From the Swedes".
The funicular passes through the Hunger Wall, commissioned by Emperor and King Charles IV during 1360 - 1362. It gained its unusual name in memory of the fact that it was built during hard times in order to provide employment for residents of Prague. The wall formed part of the city's medieval fortifications.
Also located on Petřín is Štefánik's Observatory, which opened in 1930.
The Church of St. Lawrence, originally Romanesque, documented as far back as 1135, and reconstructed in the Baroque style during 1735 - 1770, was in the past one of the traditional places of pilgrimage for residents of Prague.
One of the many monuments on Petřín is the famous statue of the poet K.H. Mácha from J.V. Myslbek, created in the years 1910 - 1912.
In the Petřín area, we can see the Kinsky, Lobkowicz, Nebozízek, and U rozhledny gardens, the Rose Garden, and the Seminary and Strahov gardens. The Rose Garden is the youngest, founded in 1932. Located on Petřín are also surviving remnants of Prague's baroque fortifications - Bastion No. Iv (St. Charles), No. V (St. Lawrence) and No. VI (St. Vojtěch/Adalbert).